Destination Spa Group (DSG)
Destination Spa Group is a participatory networking and marketing association of Destination Spas. The association formed in 1997 by the owners of America's finest Destination Spas to clarify the Destination Spa difference for the public. Through its publications and other forms of outreach, DSG helps potential spa guests find the experience they seek in a world in which "spa" has come to mean many different things.
Membership is on an annual basis and requires each property to meet criteria as outlined by ISPA and Destination Spa Group. Membership involves meeting participation, on-going networking and communications, and yearly assessments based on gross revenue.
If your spa is interested in becoming a member of the organization, please follow these steps:
- Click to download the DSG Membership Kit
- Review DSG membership criteria to ensure your property meets all guidelines.
- Complete the DSG membership application.
- Send the membership application and supportive data to membership@DestinationSpaGroup.com
- Destination Spa Vacations Magazine – 2 full page advertising spread.
- DSG website presence
- Press Releases
- Media Leads
- Group Advertising
Group Marketing Promotions (e.g. Fitness magazine)
- Group Travel Agent Marketing & Promotions
- Customer Referrals & Reservations
- Professional Development
Destination Spa Group (DSG) requires that each member spa meet and continually adhere to the criteria listed below.
1. The spa must be open and operating as a Destination Spa.
2. The spa's primary purpose is to provide the guest with a health-renewing experience and the primary reason the guest would attend is to participate in the health- and wellness-oriented program delivered by the spa.
3. The majority of overall operational revenue is generated from guests that are participating in an overnight Destination Spa Program.
4. The spa must provide a variety of therapeutic treatments. No particular number of therapies is required, however massage must be offered.
5. All food and beverages served and provided by the Destination Spa must meet a standard that places it in the category of healthy spa cuisine. Spa cuisine promotes and teaches variety, moderation, and balance and encourages the consumption of whole foods (whole grains, fresh fruits, and vegetables). The spa should offer a full menu that is conscious of calories, fat, sodium, and artificial components. Nutrition education is essential to the nutrition program (i.e. cooking demonstrations, health food tours, nutrition 101), providing guests with tools to take the healthy eating habit home.
6. The member spa must not serve or provide distilled alcoholic beverages to guests.
7. There must be an integral educational component at the facility, in which the programming focus is on lifestyle improvement and health enhancement. The intent of the programming is to provide each guest with accurate and current information that they can adapt and implement into their life upon leaving the spa.
8. Each member spa must offer a range of daily-facilitated physical fitness activities. These activities must promote a positive association between fitness and fun and motivation to take the habit home.
9. As a DSG member, an appointed representative is highly encouraged to attend one or more of the two meetings per year. In addition to the formal meetings, numerous communications occur between meetings, which require active participation.
10. As a DSG member, every spa will be responsible for an annual membership assessment as well as any approved special assessments. The membership assessment is based on gross revenue and is determined by majority vote each year.
* Associate Memberships are available to spas that meet criteria but have not been a Destination Spa for 2 years.
Membership Kit & Application